Every year multiple outlets publish their lists of the best golf courses you can play. Like opinions, they tend to differ. While Connecticut was mostly snubbed on the national level(Lake of Isles representing) by Golf Digest and Golf Magazine, they were kind enough to break down the best golf courses in-state for CT. Golf Digest’s list comprises both public and private courses. So be nice to your neighbors and slyly butter them up for an invite.
A short drive will be necessary since Fairfield County was shut out on the public side. Without knowing what scientific formulas were used in making the lists, let’s take a look at their results.
- Stanwich Club, Greenwich
- Country Club of Fairfield, Fairfield
- Lake of Isles Golf Club (South), North Stonington
- Wee Burn Country Club, Darien
- Fox Hopyard Golf Club, East Haddam(Public)
- The Course at Yale, New Haven
- Hartford Golf Club, W. Hartford
- Round Hill Club, Greenwich
- TPC River Highlands, Cromwell
- Lake of Isles Golf Club (North), North Stonington
- Wintonbury Hills Golf Course, Bloomfield
- Fox Hopyard, East Haddam
- Great River Golf Club, Milford
- The Golf Club at Oxford Greens, Oxford
In golf there are top tier courses, and there is everyone else. The layout should be both challenging and enjoyable. The staff should be knowledgeable in both the golf and hospitality industries. The clubhouse should be classy and complement the course, but also be inviting enough to relax after your round.
No matter where these courses may fall on any list, they are all a cut above the field. So cancel the regular tee time one weekend and experience something new.